Allow more foreign characters in chat

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by kingzonas, Jun 11, 2021.

1. kingzonas

kingzonas Well-Known Member

IGN:
    kingzonas
    Discord:
    jellyvish404#5778
    Small detail, but I was trying to type in Japanese in the chat, and it doesn't allow it. Just feels kind of weird, and would probably be an easy fix.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Neutral Neutral x 1
    • No Support No Support x 1
  2. boba

boba side eye Premium

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    Discord:
    bobaldr
    Can be used to bypass filter. Pretty sure main reason letters with accents and/or special characters were disabled to prevent filter bypass, whether that be to swear or even for advertisement that do not get caught by Console, adding on special forms of numbers can be used to leak private information. Overall, no support, sorry.

3. kingzonas

IGN:
    kingzonas
    Discord:
    jellyvish404#5778
    To be honest, I dont see why this is even an issue though. Filter bypasses are so easy already, you can just use regular characters, like V instead of U, or calling it Hypickle instead of Hypixel, or even putting characters between words, like T|H|I|S. why would anyone use those characters for a filter bypass when you can already just use normal characters?

Beyond that, the Heart symbol is already allowed, so I dont see why smiley faces, or japanese characters are blocked, it just doesnt make much sense to me.

4. Ari Cult

Ari Cult Active Member

IGN:
    Blue_Cult
    Discord:
    Blue_Cult#9972
    I mean... Ye- I was there when you were trying it out... as your friend I say, "Hell yeah, let us type in our Languages!"
    But in the perspective of what Boba's saying... I suppose so... but really, who would go through THAT much trouble- change their kb settings and all that, just to swear? and If they do, just report them... Ever heard of that? People bypass w OUT foreign characters LOL I mean... the points on both sides are so weak. But I stand with Zonas, I would love to have an argument in Russian! Yall know how many people are mean to me on there;-; Support 'till death! :)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. boba

boba side eye Premium

IGN:
    BobaLatte
    Discord:
    bobaldr
    Most common ways to bypass filter and regular words are already filtered I believe. And why would they add more ways to bypass filter then lol? With what you’re saying, there’s already ways to bypass filter so if they add in the ability to put in more characters, that’s basically enhancing the potential to bypass the filter. Also, this might be difficult for moderators to catch any form of rule breaking in chat with characters because I don’t think they all understand Japanese, and chat logs might not be able to insert the characters put in. Usually with the standard letters, they can just see it and paste it into translate or something, that’s what I do sometimes on SB. I also do not see the need for this. I feel like the chat with the regular A-Z alphabets is okay. I’m not being discriminatory or anything, that’s just my opinion. I also don’t really know how many people are going to be using Japanese characters.

As for the symbols, I agree that there is already a heart one and more would be nice.
    Yes I have, thank you! And people who are trolls would/do. People have the time to do stuff like that unfortunately.

6. tuber

tuber Moderator Moderator

If I'm correct, we currently have it set so that no characters other than the regular minecraft ones (with a few exceptions) can be typed in chat. This was made as players have used special characters in the past in attempts to leak information on crews other servers. The only characters we allow now are ones that crew has manually whitelisted.

I don't exactly see the point in whitelisting entire alphabets in other languages on an English speaking server. Especially when they'd likely just be used to spam chat 90% of the time.

7. kingzonas

IGN:
    kingzonas
    Discord:
    jellyvish404#5778
    Again, in my opinion, it still doesnt make much sense to me, since the original A-Z is still available. Sure, they can use it to spam, but they can use normal letters for that too. Sure, they can leak information in japanese then, but you can technically write japanese with english letters, it's just not the same as the actual japanese characters.
    If people want to spam, they'll do it without special characters.
    If people want to leak, they'll do it without special characters.
    If people want to bypass filters, they'll do it without special characters.
    But if I want to use special characters to get a smiley face, I cant? if I want to type in japanese, I cant? It seems like there's no good reason, thats all.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. und3niable

und3niable Member

IGN:
    und3niable
    Discord:
    und3niable#1774
    I mean I guess if someone on the moderator team could speak that language they could implement filters in that new language, but if not, that could be challenging to implement.

9. Ari Cult

Ari Cult Active Member

IGN:
    Blue_Cult
    Discord:
    Blue_Cult#9972
    orrrrr they could remove the plugin that prevents the characters.... Just saying...